out of the box

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
Hi Group,

I know that the usage of "out of the box" could be "to think outside of the box" or "to look outside of the box". But can I say in English "to go outside of the box"

• Focalist

European Union, English
    Antonio said:
    Hi Group,

I know that the usage of "out of the box" could be "to think outside of the box" or "to look outside of the box". But can I say in English "to go outside of the box"
    Yes, but I would say "think/look/go outside the box" (with no "of"). This may be a UK/US difference.

F

hormiguita

San Diego, Calif. (English)
    I wouldn't say "of" either... it doesn't sound horrible but it's more commonly said without the "of"

Syberyenta

US English
    I agree: you'd hear 'Outside the box' for unusual or creative thinking.. (no 'of')
    But my ears also like 'out-of-the-box' as a lazy slang-y adjective, never 'out-the-box'

Further, I wouldn't use 'go' in this sense at all. 'Go' -- and this may be a personal bias -- is more literal. "You'd have to go outside the city to get fresher tomatoes than this"

"Go outside the box" in a figurative sense doesn't sound like American usage.

Much more often you'll hear

"Go outside if you're going to yell like that" with 'outside the house', or 'this room' being implied, but not stated.

< Previous | Next >