out of the closet

Arzhela

French
Hello,
I just would like to know if "out of the closet" could be a phrase and if so, what does it mean ?
Thanks for your help !

• Arzhela

French
    Thanks Frodon and JamesM !
    You help me a lot ! My sentence is about a gay. Could you just help me e little more ?
    "You can't date with him. He's just out of the closet and you may be a little too out for him",
    does it mean :
    "Tu ne peux pas sortir avec lui. Il vient juste de découvrir qu'il est gay et toi, tu l'es peut-être un peu trop pour lui" ?
    Thanks in advance !

Jaseur

England
    You help me a lot ! My sentence is about a gay. Could you just help me e little more ?
    "You can't date with him. He's just out of the closet and you may be a little too out for him",
    does it mean :
    "Tu ne peux pas sortir avec lui. Il vient juste de découvrir qu'il est gay et toi, tu l'es peut-être un peu trop pour lui" ?
    Thanks in advance !
    We say "date someone", not "date with someone".
    Thus you should say, "You can't date him."

mplsray

does it mean :
    Thanks in advance !

Just out of the closet does not describe someone who has just discovered that he is gay. Instead, it describes someone who has just revealed publicly that he is gay. Sometimes such a person may indeed have just discovered that he is gay, but that's not what the expression itself means.

< Previous | Next >