outer garment

taraa

Persian
Does it mean garments that we wear outside house by "outer garment"? What is garments that we wear in our houses?

The gunna was worn by Anglo Saxon women and consisted of a long, loose outer garment.[1] The gunna was also called a cote, surcoat or a robe.[1]
Gown - Wikipedia

• Myridon

English - US
    Outer garments are worn over other clothing. They are on the outside of all your clothes. A winter coat is an outer garment.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    An outer garment is a garment that someone will see while looking at you when you are fully dressed. They will see that garment because it is the last layer of clothing. Your outer garments can be seen even when you are inside a house. They may be contrasted with undergarments, also known as underwear, which you wear under you outer garments and next to your skin.

taraa

Persian
    Many thanks all. :)
    In Farsi we say for example 'outer trousers" and "inner trousers", they mean trousers that we wear outside house and the ones that we wear inside house. Don't you have such things?

Myridon

English - US
    No. There are things like pajama pants that you really shouldn't be wearing outside the house. (Making fun of people wearing pajamas at Wal-mart is a popular thing on some photo sharing sites.)

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    No. It is something that you wear over your clothes.
    I disagree. In August in the northeastern states, you might walk on the street wearing a pair of shorts and a short sleeved shirt, with nothing on top. You would also wear these same clothes whether you are indoors or outdoors. In that case, the short sleeved shirt and the shorts are outer garments, because they are worn over your underwear, and are meant to be seen. It is not correct to say that in August, no one wears outer garments: if a garment is not underwear, but is instead intended to be worn as the outermost layer of clothing at some time, then it is an outer garment.

Packard

USA, English
    I think that the nearest we come to a winter outer garment "gown" is the winter attire of Tibetan Buddhists'.

Also some Monks wear similar garments:

london calling

UK English
    I disagree. In August in the northeastern states, you might walk on the street wearing a pair of shorts and a short sleeved shirt, with nothing on top. You would also wear these same clothes whether you are indoors or outdoors. In that case, the short sleeved shirt and the shorts are outer garments, because they are worn over your underwear, and are meant to be seen. It is not correct to say that in August, no one wears outer garments: if a garment is not underwear, but is instead intended to be worn as the outermost layer of clothing at some time, then it is an outer garment.
    I mean exactly that. What did you think I meant?

Last edited:

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I mean exactly that. What did you think I meant?
    Your post followed directly after mine, and I took your initial "No" to be addressed at what I had said, and an implied agreement with Myridon's earlier post. I now see from the time of your post that you probably had not seen my post when you wrote that, and despite its location in the thread your "No" was not intended for my preceding comment.

Packard

USA, English
    This might help clear some things out, but not completely as "outerwear" appears to have more than one meaning in the garment industry. Note the deviation in meaning between the American English definition and the British English definition.

Outerwear definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

outerwear in British English

(ˈaʊtəwɛə)

noun
    clothing that is not worn underneath other clothing

outerwear in American English

(ˈaʊtərˌwɛr )

noun
    outer garments worn over the usual clothing; specif., topcoats, raincoats, etc.

Importance of Undergarments or Underwear

Undergarments or underwear are clothes worn under other clothes, often next to the skin. Undergarments are known by a number of terms. Underclothes, underclothing and underwear are formal terms, while undergarments may be more casually called.

Undergarments serve to keep outer garments from being soiled or damaged by bodily excretions, to lessen the friction of outerwear against the skin, to shape the body, and to provide concealment or support for parts of it. In cold weather, long underwear is sometimes worn to provide additional warmth.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    WRF's Random House hedges their bets :)
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
    out•er•wear /ˈaʊtɚˌwɛr/ n. [uncountable; used with a singular verb]
    1. clothing, such as overcoats, worn over other clothing for warmth or protection outdoors;
      overclothes.
    2. clothing, such as dresses, sweaters, or suits, worn over undergarments.

< Previous | Next >