Outline map of

Manola81

Italian
Ciao a tutti!

Riporto in luce questo post riguardante il termine outline questa volta riferito a "map".

Si tratta della traduzione di un sito web. Trovo l'immagine di una cartina mondiale e cliccandoci su mi compare l'espressione:

"Outline map of India".

Come potrei tradurre? "Bozza di cartina"? Oppure "cartina generale"?

Grazie in anticipo.

• gandolfo

English-British
    Hi:)
    I think it depends what's on the map, if anything:)

If the states are on the map it could be : Cartina degli stati e dei territori or Carina amministrativa or politica,

Serabianca

Australia, English
    Would it be possible for you to post the link to this website? It almost seems as though "outline" is an instruction; ie. if you click on the world map, the website highlights, or draws an outline of India.
    I came to this conclusion because, unless it is something more technical, the expression "outline map" is not common. It doesn't mean "bozza". At best, it could be to differentiate between a map that shows the external border (hence, the outline) of a country and one that also shows the internal borders or other details (eg. roads, place names), but it's a bit of a stretch.
    Una mappa semplice, che contiene solo i contorni geografici.
    ciao,
    Serabianca

gandolfo

English-British
    Hi serabianca:)

In fact there are many forms of outline maps when I searched to find out what it actually meant I got this, it could mean political, territorial with or without information or literally an outline....maybe manola can enlighten us :)

Manola81

Italian
    Dunque..nella cartina che vedo sono delineati solo gli stati. Nessun riferimento alla parte fisica, quindi credo che "cartina politica" possa andar bene (anche se in realtà non mi convince granchè).

L'esempio è esattamente quello postato da gandolfo.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Hi, Manola - Outline just refers to the outline of the political boundaries (national, state, provincial, whatever is appropriate for the country). I see that Serabianca says "outline map" is not common, but here it is quite commonly used.

shinju

Italian
    Hi, Manola81.

As far as I know a "cartina politica" must include toponyms and not just boundaries of a country/province/area.
    I feel an outline map is what we call a "cartina muta".
    Though, as you may know this is a definition mostly used for education purpose, at school (to have pupils fix in a blank map the correct position of towns, rivers,...previously learnt by heart).

Wouldn't it be better in this case to avoid specifications and simply translate it as "cartina" ?
    Regards,

< Previous | Next >