Outline (of a screenplay)

undern

Italy, Italian
Hi,
does anybody know the specific term for "outline" of a screenplay?
I thought of "bozza", but I don't know if it's the specific term.
The term is taken from an interview to a tv show producer. He says:

"I find there are two types of writers: writers who write the outline and writers who write the script. The former take all the material from the outline and deliver the script version of it, while the latter use the outline as a jumping-off point. They make the script their own and bring a level of inspiration to the writing of it."

Thanks in advance!

• undern

Italy, Italian
    No, it does not mean plot, it's something you work on in order to come up with the final version of a script, so it should be "bozza"... even though from the context I gave, I have some doubts.

adrew80

italian
    I think about the outline as a general idea which helps to write the plot.
    Am i wrong? Sorry but it's something really peculiar.

adrew80

italian
    So the outline is just a general idea, the first sketch of the story.
    Starting from the outline the other writers would develop the real plot.
    Is it so? If not try to explain it.

undern

Italy, Italian
    The plot is decided already. I think the interviewee is talking about the step of the process in which writers have the story (we're dealing with the writers staff of a tv show), and must write the screenplay from a first draft. So, there are some who just improve this draft and realize a final version of it, while others take this draft and " bring a level of inspiration to the writing of it". That's what I get from reading this. But I don't know if it's actually a "draft", or if the written material at this step of the process has a specific term.

adrew80

italian
    I would use bozza or "una prima traccia" (some first sketches) but i'm not sure.

I'm apologetic but i don't know how to help you further.
    It's too peculiar and i'm not a screenplay expert.

SpookyT

Italian
    Hi!

According to Wikipedia (Sceneggiatura), most (screen)plays are developed through four stages:
    • soggetto: "un’esposizione chiara e piuttosto breve della storia (1-5 pagine)";
    • scaletta: "sequenza "tecnica" delle scene, con una brevissima descrizione di quanto accade in ognuna di esse; serve a mettere in evidenza il ritmo e la progressione della storia e le eventuali falle da correggere";
    • trattamento: "una narrazione più ampia (attorno alle 30 pagine) che può assomigliare ad un racconto letterario, con descrizioni di luoghi, motivazioni psicologiche dei personaggi e qualche indicazione di dialogo";
    • il prodotto finale, ovvero la sceneggiatura completa di un lungometraggio, supera di norma le 100 pagine.
    It's actually more about movies than TV shows, but it might help find the right translation of the English term ;)

My interpretation is that the former type of writers (those who write the outline) scribble down a detailed plot of what's going to happen, probably in an indirect speech form, and then draw the script out of it. The second type take the general outline (which may come from other authors) and let their minds freewheel so as to get out the actual script, letting the story take the lead and the characters 'talk'.

Just a suggestion. (Interesting, btw - it actually makes me think about my habits when it comes to writing ;) )

EDIT: "prima traccia" is nice! :thumbsup:

undern

Italy, Italian
    Thank anyway Adrew, I really appreciate your help :)
    And thanks SpookyT, I think it's "scaletta" then!

< Previous | Next >