outnumber / exceed

Yihuan

Chinese
When it comes to the school leaving exams level, the percentage of Malaysia is 35%, outnumbering Singapore’s 30%. People with no qualification in Malaysia reaches 65%, exceeding that in Singapore again by 5%.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I wouldn't use 'outnumber' in the first sentence. I use 'outnumber' when we are talking about numbers of people, for instance: The 35 students from Malaysia outnumbers Singapore's 30.

'Exceed' is fine in the second sentence, because a percentage is a quantity rather than a number, and one quantity can exceed another.

Where do these sentences come from, Yihuan? Did you write them yourself, or see them somewhere? If it is the second, please tell us where you saw them.

Yihuan

Chinese
    I wouldn't use 'outnumber' in the first sentence. I use 'outnumber' when we are talking about numbers of people, for instance: The 35 students from Malaysia outnumbers Singapore's 30.

'Exceed' is fine in the second sentence, because a percentage is a quantity rather than a number, and one quantity can exceed another.

Where do these sentences come from, Yihuan? Did you write them yourself, or see them somewhere? If it is the second, please tell us where you saw them.
    Thank you, Cagey. These sentences were written by myself for IELTS writing.

< Previous | Next >