outpouring

< Previous | Next >

CORALINNA

Portuguese - Brasil
Is the noun "outpouring" similar to the meaning of "unburden yourself"?

"What I said to you was only an outpouring! Sorry, i did not meant it !"

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    I think I see what you're trying to say, but I would be likelier to say "venting," perhaps.

Can you provide more context? Is the idea that the speaker lost his or her temper and said something unkind or unfair, hence the apology?

ColinForhan

English - American
    We definitely need more context. If this is a very informal situation, you can call it "word vomit."

However, I think that outpouring would be wrong in any case.

Last edited:

CORALINNA

Portuguese - Brasil
    Maybe my example was not so good. I have another one.

"What I said to you was only an outpouring! I know you can't do anything to help me but I had to share my feelings with someone or I would freak out."

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "I had to blow off steam" would be appropriate if your main emotion was anger or outrage. "Thanks for letting me vent" would do for whatever strong emotion you were expressing (as would a simple "thanks for listening"). You could also refer to it as an "outburst" (but not an outpouring). Your idea of following with "I had to share my feelings with someone . . . " is a good one.

tastybrain

English - GA
    I've generally heard this word in religious situations where people say "There was an outpouring of the Holy Spirit."

I agree that the situation you say sounds strange and I would use "venting" as well.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    There is still no context meaning that we do not know what sort of emotion we are talking about or who you are talking to.
    Forget about 'outpouring'. I think 'outburst' is an excellent word, generally understood and covering the most likely emotions of most situations.

'Venting' is a useful word, but I do not know how common it is. I suspect that older
    (50+ ?) British/ European people, who do not use the internet for general communication with a wide variety of people, might not be familiar with it, but I really don't know. To me it is a modern word that I encountered first on -line and I've never heard a British English speaker use it without an air of self consciousness. My comment is based only on my own limited experience.
    "Letting off steam" means much the same, especially if emotions of anger and frustration are involved.

Another phrase, very informal, that might be out of fashion these days, is "letting it all hang out". This might be used when more personal emotional issues have been involved in the 'outburst'.

'Unburden oneself' is also a possibility. "I'm sorry for unburdening myself the other day". It's probably more formal and serious.

Hermione

< Previous | Next >