outreach

< Previous | Next >

Marinka

French - France
Hi,

Could anybody help me with the word outreach? I don't understand what it means in this context:

"The city’s profile as a multicultural centre for film with a diversity of outreach initiatives for different ethnic groups with strong links to Asian films was also appreciated."

Thanks
Marina

• suzi br

English / England
    Yes - gordon's defintion is good. It is a particular bit of jargon in the field of community projects, art projects, youth work, etc. In this case it means the city has been making specific efforts to include Asian film makers in their film center - so it seems a bit circular, really --

what city is it?

Marinka

French - France
    Hi Suzi,

The city is Bradford (UK).
    Actually, the end of the sentence is a bit odd. What has strong links to the Asian films: ethnic groups or initiatives?

Why do you say it is circular?

Marina

Rational_gaze

British English
    Actually, the end of the sentence is a bit odd. What has strong links to the Asian films: ethnic groups or initiatives?
    "The city’s profile as a multicultural centre for film with a diversity of outreach initiatives for different ethnic groups with strong links to Asian films was also appreciated."

The use of a comma or two in that sentence would also be appreciated. :)

As that sentence is written, it's not easy to say. I'd guess the 'ethnic groups' have the strong links to Asian films.

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    Hi,

Could anybody help me with the word outreach? I don't understand what it means in this context:

Thanks
    Marina

The challanges in the sentence to me hinge around this:

multi cultural centre
    different ethnic groups
    links to Asian film
    are all from a very close semantic field.

The way the sentence is structured makes is hard to know which its relate to Bradford itself, or are serving to modify each other.

Perhaps it doesn't matter and it's just saying Bradford supports that asepct of the flim industry in various ways!

< Previous | Next >