Outright gamble

Stormreaver

Turkish
Hello,
What does "outright gamble" mean in this context?
"The road is a narrow corridor with twists, steep hills that make mega hauls an outright gamble."
Is it "complete", "absolute", "certain", "instant" or is it something like "outright bet", meaning it's a multiple bet. I am just thinking it may be "instant gamble" because it is just a matter of death, with just one wrong move.
Thank you.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Both complete and absolute would fit well here. Certain would not work here, because in the context of gambling it would be used to mean there was no risk of losing. See "dead cert".
    I've never come across "outright bet" meaning "multiple bet". But you seem to be correct that that meaning exists. However, the kind of gamble described in this context has nothing to do with betting. It simply means the road is so dangerous that you'll be lucky to reach the other end without crashing your mega haul, and you may even be gambling with your life.

Stormreaver

Turkish
    Both complete and absolute would fit well here. Certain would not work here, because in the context of gambling it would be used to mean there was no risk of losing. See "dead cert".
    I've never come across "outright bet" meaning "multiple bet". But you seem to be correct that that meaning exists. However, the kind of gamble described in this context has nothing to do with betting. It simply means the road is so dangerous that you'll be lucky to reach the other end without crashing your mega haul, and you may even be gambling with your life.
    Thank you so much, I appreciate it.

< Previous | Next >