outright winner

intokaos

Español
Hello, I am translating this paragraph from Survival Strategies for People on the Autism Spectrum by Marc Fleisher and I cannot understand this phrase:

On the other hand, if the score is in your favour, perhaps three match-points to you, it might be worth risking an ambitious smash or outright winner. It could win you the match and even if it does not, you will still have another two chances to do so.

If I am not wrong it is: "It might be worth risking an ambitious smash or risking an outright winner", if so, what is the meaning of "outright winner" in this context. If i am not mistaken "winner" means goal here right? But I cannot figure it out the combination with outright.

Thank you.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Outright winner cannot mean goal, as it looks as if the writer is talking about tennis, in which there are no goals.

"it might be worth risking an ambitious smash or
    outright winner." = it might be worth risking an ambitious smash (hitting the ball very hard) or [a shot that is an] outright winner (i.e. some other shot that will certainly win the match).

heypresto

English - England
    'Winner' here means a winning shot. And in this context, 'outright' means 'complete', or 'total', or 'absolute'. It's simply emphasising the strength of the victory.

Cross-posted.

EStjarn

Spanish
    I think the implication of 'an outright winner' - as compared to 'an ambitious smash' - is that it is an easy win; you will need to have bad luck in order not to win the point. An ambitious smash, on the other hand, does not necessarily imply an easy win.

Here's a usage example:

"Don’t play a shot that is going to leave you out of position unless its an out right winner." Ground strokes: High Wycombe Lawn Tennis Club

intokaos

Español
    I think the implication of 'an outright winner' - as compared to 'an ambitious smash' - is that it is an easy win; you will need to have bad luck in order not to win the point. An ambitious smash, on the other hand, does not necessarily imply an easy win.

Here's a usage example:

"Don’t play a shot that is going to leave you out of position unless its an out right winner." Ground strokes: High Wycombe Lawn Tennis Club
    Thank you very much !

< Previous | Next >