Outstanding balance / overpayment

Sisi22

French - France
Good morning!

I am wondering if this sentence is correct:
"Any outstanding balance should either be returned to the client or will have to be covered by the guests, in cash, at the end of the cruise."

Context:
The guests rent a private boat and pay an extra amount of money to cover all costs (food and beverage, fuel, etc.). At the end of the cruise, if the guests gave too much (i.e. they consumed less than we expected), we will reimburse them, if there is money missing (we always buy more, to make sure we won't have any shortage), they will have to pay us.
I am not sure if "outstanding balance" is suitable for both parts of the sentence or if I should change the sentence to:
"Any balance will be returned to the client, any outstanding balance should be covered by the guests..."

All suggestions are welcome!

Thank you.
Cc

• AmaryllisBunny

"Outstanding balance" usually refers to the person who pays for a service and owes money.

For example, if you have a bank account, and you have an "outstanding balance," you owe the bank money and not vise versa.

Any outstanding balance must be paid in full by guests... Any remaining balance is to be returned to the guests...

I think for clarity's sake, you may want to split it up.

Sisi22

French - France
    Understood, thank you!
    Can I still write it in 1 sentence or is it better to totally split it into 2?
    "Any overpayment will be returned to the guests, any outstanding balance must be paid in fully by the guests, in cash, at the end of the cruise."
    Both should be paid in cash at the end of the cruise, so I would prefer to make 1 sentence to avoid repetition.

< Previous | Next >