outwardly/apparently,...

tamargo

Spanish
Hola a todos,
Me gustaría saber cuál es la diferencia entre estas dos palabras ya que, según el diccionario, ambas significan "Aparentemente"
En un ejercicio de Multiple-choice me encuentro la siguiente frase:
................. ,the sign had made its way along trade routes to northern Europe.
Dan como válida "Apparently" El texto se refiere a cómo se encuentra por primera vez el signo @ en documentos históricos.

Gracias de antemano

• Alisterio

UK English
    Hi Tamargo,

The terms are related, but not exactly the same. The way I would interpret this is as follows:

outwardly = giving the appearance of
    apparently = based on the available evidence

For example, you could talk about an "outwardly happy person", which is someone that appears to be happy but may not be. "Apparently", when placed before a statement of some kind, means "it would seem that": "Apparently, they got married after they'd only known each other for 6 weeks" (the speaker does not know this as a fact, but has information that makes him think this is the case).

Blue Scarf

English - United States
    "Outwardly" implies that something shown on the outside is different from what is on the inside. I associate it most with feelings:
    Example:
    Outwardly, she seemed happy to see him, but inside she was still angry about yesterday.

To me, "apparently" describes something you can interpret as true, or that we may suppose to be true.
    Example:
    When he arrived at her door, she gave him a big hug. Apparently, she was happy to see him.

Espero que esta explicación te ayude.

micafe

Spanish - Colombia
    Los diccionarios los ponen como sinónimos, pero con alguna diferencia.

Encontré esto en Internet:

You use outwardly to indicate the feelings or qualities that a person or situation may appear to have, rather than the ones that they actually have.

You use apparently to indicate that the information you are giving is something that you have heard, but you are not certain that it is true.

**Question for the native speakers: Is "outwardly" frequently used? It seems to me it isn't..

< Previous | Next >