outweigh, excell, surpass instead of trump

< Previous | Next >

Ocham

Japanese
In the sentence below, I'd like to replace "trump" with another verb. Among outweigh, excell or surpass, which verb best suits?

There are situations in which love for animals can trump our concern for other humans.

• Ocham

Japanese
    Thanks a lot, Franco-filly. I'll take "surpass". "Eclipse" or "override" is the one I want to replace with another verb again.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I think "trump" has something that "surpass" doesn't.
    If A trumps B, there is no element of a comparison of strength. No matter how strong B is, A wins.

An example of a situation where love for animals trumps concern for other humans ... ...
    There is a huge multi-vehicle pile-up. Damaged vehicles are strewn across the highway.
    You arrive on the scene, and the first casualty you deal with is the hungry kitten mewing on top of the mangled car.

Ocham

Japanese
    To panjandrum. The sentence was used in the context below. So I think the example of a situation you mentioned applies here.

"You have come across a burning building. From inside,you hear the howls of your beloved dog and the screams of a man you don't know. Flames licking at your heels, you run into the building and realize that you only have time to save one or the other. Which one should you choose, the dog or the man? "

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Hi Ocham

Of the three options given in post 1, I'd say the best alternative to "trump" in the context you've described is "outweigh".

< Previous | Next >