outwitted

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
I can't understand what "outwitted' means in this context:
"For the moment the cold was outwitted."
Thanks.

• bouncy.bouncy

American/British English
    this seems to be from the media, as it sounds like one of those buzzwords that normal people wouldn't use.
    here it implies that some cold weather was forecasted for the area, but for some reason the temperature was higher than most had expected.

Vikorr

Australia, English
    Without more context it may be impossible to say.

Had I to have a guess, I would have thought the phrase came from a novel, and that 'the cold was outwitted' was a poetic description of severe cold not holding sway over something else.

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    Without more context it may be impossible to say.

Had I to have a guess, I would have thought the phrase came from a novel, and that 'the cold was outwitted' was a poetic description of severe cold not holding sway over something else.

I agree with the novel thing. I thought of it immediately as being something from a first-person narrative style novel. You need to provide more context! I can only guess what it means as it stands. Perhaps a person threw on a jacket or taped over a broken window. It means that someone used their smarts to get over the cold, or it could mean that simply someone beat the cold in some way.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Yes, It is from "to build a fire" written by Jack London.
    Thank you very much.

bouncy.bouncy

American/British English
    Oh my god:warn::warn:I hated that short story. :)
    It means the fire he made was sufficient enough at the moment to keep him from freezing any more than he was.