Ouvert 7 jours sur 7

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    The full phrase would be "7 days out of 7", but typically in English you would simply say "open 7 days" (the "out of 7" is implicitly understood).

LMorland

American English
    "Around the clock"
    LART01 is absolutely right. The French 7/7j is not the same as English 24/7.

In fact, I can't think of a quick way of writing 7/7j in English. (Please jump in and correct me if I've forgotten one.)

On the other hand, I don't think that the term 24/7 is used in France, probably because the concept doesn't even exist! Except for police stations, emergency medical services, hospitals and a few (very few) select 24-hour pharmacies in major cities, nothing in France is open 24/7, not even call centres.

{It's actually one of the reasons I like France! The rhythm of life is more natural here.}

constantlyconfused

English - British
    On the other hand, I don't think that the term 24/7 is used in France, probably because the concept doesn't even exist!
    :D

As far as the translation is concerned, I wouldn't say "It's open 7 days",

I'd say it's open 7 days a week, or it's open daily.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Yes. "Open daily" is a good phrase to mean the same thing.
    I was wondering if this was a US/UK English difference, because "open daily" does not speak to me at all. From google, only 2 of the top 20 hits of "open daily" are using the phrase in this way. By contrast "Open 7 days" gets lots of hits, all of them being used in this way, although some are "open 7 days a week". Finally I tried "open every day", and found that this was mostly being used as part of a longer phrase ("open every day except Christmas Day", or "open every day during the holidays", for example).

I therefore stand by my previous answer that the most common formula on both sides of the Atlantic is "open 7 days", or "open 7 days a week".

LMorland

American English
    I was wondering if this was a US/UK English difference, because "open daily" does not speak to me at all.
    That's interesting, because constantlyconfused, who is "British", is the one who suggested it! Maybe it's not used in Scotland?

On the other hand "open 7 days" doesn't ring any bells with me, as a speaker of AE. In fact, if I were to see it written down, it would seem incomplete, lacking what to me feels like the necessary end of the phrase: "a week".

In any case, open daily is certainly commonly used in the U.S. It also takes up less space on a flyer, or poster, or whatever, which may be one reason for its popularity over open 7 days a week.

Thanks for doing all that research, Glasguensis!

< Previous | Next >