Over-coded

< Previous | Next >

alibey71

Türkçe
The opening of the extreme verticality of the Burj Khalifa was loaded with multiple myths, symbols and messages of progress, arrival, success, centrality and future prosperity. For one, the tower’s height and strength were over-coded with ubiquitous images of Dubai’s apparently benevolent and patriarchal ruler, the tall bearded figure of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum. Combining the roles of monarch, prime minister and president, Al Maktoum and his family rule Dubai as a quasi-medieval fiefdom."

What is the meaning of "over-coded" in this context? Thanks in advance

The source: Stephen Graham's Vertical

• suzi br

English / England
    In this case it’s similar to over-crowded. Too much of something.
    The auther thinks there are too many “coded” ideas, by which he means too much of the symbolism that he is talking about.

Edit: this is something I’ve worked out from the context, it’s a new thing to me too, so no need to add it to your “active” vocabulary.

alibey71

Türkçe
    In this case it’s similar to over-crowded. Too much of something.
    The auther thinks there are too many “coded” ideas, by which he means too much of the symbolism that he is talking about.

Edit: this is something I’ve worked out from the context, it’s a new thing to me too, so no need to add it to your “active” vocabulary.
    Thanks a lot, suzi br, you were very helpful.

< Previous | Next >