1. Charlie Parker

    Charlie Parker Senior Member

    English Canada
    Moderator note: Threads merged. European French is included in the thread.

    When I was in Quebec I was told how to say "over easy" in French and now I've forgotten. Another thread wasn't much help. Is "oeufs sur le plat" used in Quebec for "sunny side up"?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
  2. Randisi. Senior Member

    Dalian, China
    American English; USA
    Hi Charlie.

    Poking around on the internet, it seems 'eggs over-easy' might be 'œufs au plat.' 'Sur le plat' seems to mean 'sunny-side up.' Don't know what they say in Quebec.

    WR's suggestion of 'brouillés' for 'easy-over' seems to be incorrect. That means 'scrambled.'
  3. Coppers Senior Member

    South Yorkshire
    English - England
    We say eggs cooked on both sides in Britian.
  4. Charlie Parker

    Charlie Parker Senior Member

    English Canada
    Thank you. I heard it several times, but now I can't recall. If I see it, I'll recognize it.
  5. Charlie Parker

    Charlie Parker Senior Member

    English Canada
    Thank you Coppers. I lived in Oxford for four years back in the eighties and I remember a lot of the expressions. I always get mixed up between "over easy" which I think is typical and "easy over" which I've often said but is probably wrong. I suppose right and wrong are really a matter of custom and usage.
  6. Nicomon

    Nicomon Senior Member

    Français, Québec ♀
    I understand "over easy" as oeufs tournés i.e. white cooked and flipped over, but yolk still runny (for lack of a better word).

    And in answer to Randisi... "oeufs brouillés" are indeed "scrambled eggs" in Quebec.

    Sunny side up = sur le plat (ideally) but I'm afraid that in Montreal many people say it in English... (guilty as charged :eek:)
  7. Nicomon

    Nicomon Senior Member

    Français, Québec ♀
    Hi Charlie,

    Is "oeufs tournés" (as said above) the expression you had in mind? I wonder if people say it differently out of Montreal, for instance Gaspé.
  8. walkyrie Senior Member

    né et vit en France
    According to what I found on various canadian websites, it seems, as already suggested above, that "eggs overeasy" are "œufs tournés" in Canada, but in France I'm pretty sure almost nobody would know what it is (and most probably they wouldn't know how to do it in most cafés or restaurants, they would break the yolks when flipping th eggs if they've never done it before !). I also learned that "œufs sur le plat/au plat" ("sunny side up") are called "œufs miroir".
  9. Charlie Parker

    Charlie Parker Senior Member

    English Canada
    Nicomon, I asked a waitress in St. Sauveur and she told me and now it's gone out my mind beyond recall. It wasn't oeufs tournés because sounds easy and logical. And I'll have to figure out how to get my computer to do the oe properly. Et je vous ai écrit un courriel. Je devrais éviter d'écrire en anglais parce que j'ai besoin de pratique.
  10. Nicomon

    Nicomon Senior Member

    Français, Québec ♀
    Of course "oeufs (au) miroir". How could I forget that one! I'll have another coffee with my over easy eggs, please :p. Now don't ask how the article got in there, but I think you will more often hear the expression with, than without.
  11. Nicomon

    Nicomon Senior Member

    Français, Québec ♀
    Hum... I say œufs tournés (I copy/pasted walkyrie's œ) so I'm a bit puzzled. I'm guessing this waitress may have said something descriptive like "cuit des deux bords, jaune mou". But that's a bit far fetched. :eek:
  12. ascoltate

    ascoltate Senior Member

    Montréal, QC
    U.S.A. & Canada, English
    So, I'm trying to get these equivalencies here; can somebody help fill in the blanks? :

    AE: sunny-side up; QF: œufs miroir; EF: œufs sur le plat
    AE: eggs over-easy; QF: œufs tournés; EF: N/A
    AE: eggs over-hard; QF: ??; EF: N/A
    AE: eggs over-medium; QF: ??; EF: N/A
    AE: N/A?; QF: œufs crevés; EF: ?? (I understand it as a fried egg with the yolk broken in the middle of cooking, so somewhere between scrambled & fried ??)
    AE: scrambled eggs; QF: œufs brouillés (EF aussi ??)
  13. Albert 50 Senior Member

    Montreal QC and Dallas TX
    Canada: French and English (bilingual)
    To add confirmation to Nicomon's comments: in my French-speaking community in Western Canada we always referred to "eggs over easy" as " oeufs tournés". Eggs served "sunny-side up" were called "oeufs au miroir" (not "sur le plat) and "poached eggs' were "oeufs pochés".

    These were the terms I heard as a child in local cafés. When I moved to Montreal as a teen-ager I was surprised to hear the English terms used in many cases. But not in the small towns outside Montreal...

  14. ascoltate

    ascoltate Senior Member

    Montréal, QC
    U.S.A. & Canada, English
    Really?? I don't think I've heard Francophone Montrealers say "over-medium" or "over-easy" in French... but a native Quebecker could help...
  15. Alipeeps Senior Member

    UK - English
    In Britain you don't usually get to choose! :D

    Ordering breakfast is so much more complicated in the US where you have to specify how you want your eggs, your toast, what kind of butter you want etc etc. :D In the UK, it's easy - you order your meal and you get it however they make it. :lol:
  16. tinkaline13 Senior Member


    Are over-easy eggs the same as scrambled eggs?
    Thank you!
  17. vsop44 Senior Member

    pays d'Evangeline
    français France
    Non ce sont des œufs sur le plat que vous retournez et laissez cuire un instant .

    Les œufs sur le plat c'est eggs sunny side up .
  18. tinkaline13 Senior Member

    thank you for our help!
  19. PatSim New Member

    As a native frenchspeaking Quebecer living in Montréal I always say "tourné" for over easy. Never heard it say in English even by the waitress.

Share This Page