(over) here/there

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jock3r3779, Aug 25, 2013.

1. jock3r3779 New Member

Russian
    What is the difference between here and over here, and there and over there? How does the meaning change when we add "over"? Are these interchangeable? I would appreciate some examples of usage. Thanks.
    PS this question had been raised many times, but was either answered with a translation or incomplete explanation. Please respond in En.

2. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
    Hello jock,

I'd say that "over" just emphasize the distance - it is used just for emphasis.

3. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Persian
  4. jock3r3779 New Member

Russian
    It seems like it has to do not only with a distance, but also with a location. I do not however see what kind of emphasis this "over" makes. Sometimes you can just omit it, right? It's still a bit unclear. Can you please give a few examples? Thank you, guys!

5. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
    I see the difference in the emphasis as I mentioned above, but I may be wrong, so:

(i) "Jock, come here!" = "Jock, come closer (to me)!" / "Jock, come to this place!"

(i) "Jock, come over here!" = "Jock, overcome the distance that separates us and come near me!"
    (ii) "Jock, why don't you come over here on Sunday?" = "Jock, why don't you come in the country I am in on Sunday?"

That's how I see it.

6. jock3r3779 New Member

Russian
    Here are a few sentences I've come up with. Can you please explain the difference?

Our shelter is here. Our shelter is over here.
    I’ll meet you here. I’ll meet you over here.

The capitol building is there. The capitol building is over there.
    They’ll pick you up there. They’ll pick you up over there.

My guess is that each 1st sentence has more of a general and ambiguous sense (somewhere here/there), while each 2nd sentence is more specific in terms of location, and has additional sense of a distance that's implied by "over". Besides, this "over" does not make sense in any sentence, right? Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  7. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    1a.
    Two people are walking together, they approach the shelter. [What do you mean by a shelter by the way? A bus shelter? a bomb shelter?]
    John: When will we reach the shelter?
    Fred points to the shelter.
    Fred: We already have reached it. The shelter is here.
    John: Oh I didn't notice it!

1b.
    Fred is already at the shelter, John is walking past at some distance.
    Fred shouts, then waves, then beckons to John.
    Fred: Hey John! The shelter is over here!
    John: Okay, I'll be right over.

2a.
    Jane: Let's go to Washington.
    Mary: Why?
    Jane: The Capitol Building is there. I'd like to see it.
    Mary: Okay.

2b.
    Jane: Well, we have arrived in Washington. Can you see the Capitol Building?
    Mary points.
    Mary: Yes - look, it's over there.