over ten blood-soaked years

causticcerebral

Farsi
hi there,
is there another way of saying 'over' in the context of time other than 'pendant'?
i wanted to say 'over ten blood-soaked years' but 'pendant' seemed a bit too simplistic and carries the meaning more of 'during' i think
i'd prefer something more literary.
Thanks for any help in advance!

• Bezoard

French - France
    Oui, quoique je préfère "tout au long de".
    b) [Sens temporel] Tout le long de, (tout) au long de, tout du long de. Pendant (toute) la durée de. Expérience acquise au long d'une carrière. Il s'est diverti tout du long de l'année (Ac.).Je m'ennuie tout le long de la journée (Littré).Les jolis éclats de risée, qui retentirent tout au long de la route (Bourges, Crépusc. dieux,1884, p. 232).Et tout le long du jour on venait le consulter, des hommes, des femmes, tous des voleurs (Cendrars, Bourlinguer,1948, p. 158):
    10. Mais enfin, capitaine, vous ne me surveillerez pas tout au long de ma mission. Et là-bas, au Mexique (...). Votre règlement ne sera plus qu'un souvenir saugrenu. Audiberti, Quoat,1946, 1ertabl., p. 18.

Phil512

Français - Belgique
    (Cross-post with Bezoard)
    Hello, Ou "tout au long de dix années. .."
    Plus littéraire, comme demandé,
    "Au fil de dix longues années sanglantes..."

causticcerebral

Farsi
    The context is war (first & second WW) so i think 'luttes' is not quite as portentous as is necessary.
    Phil512, "Au fil de dix longues années sanglantes..."
    is my favourite thus far; and communicates the meaning as accurately as is possible, most likely. Thanks!

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    Si je lis 'over ten blood-soaked years' hors contexte, je comprends plus de dix années ...
    Ce n'est évidemment pas le cas ici, mais je crois qu'il faudrait la phrase complète pour mieux trancher.

À mon avis les suggestions qui précèdent ne conviendraient pas toutes, pour traduire cet exemple (histoire d'en mettre un)
    - il me semble que l'ajout de tout à au long de serait superflu :
    It may, in fact, be said that the Chinese revolution stands distinctly apart from many things that have happened in the rest of the world. It occurred over 21 blood-soaked years, during which the Communist Party had to fight its way, almost literally, inch by inch, over some of the most rugged terrain on earth: mountains, mighty rivers, gorges, valleys, you name it.
    Et si je remplaçais "several" par "ten" dans la phrase suivante :
    I covered more than 100 suicide bombings over several blood-soaked years.
    Je ne dirais pas en français « tout au long de » ni non plus « au fil de dix longues ». Là, je dirais peut-être : sur une période de 10 ans.
    Conclusion ... il faut le contexte. ;)

Edit - As I was busy writing, I hadn't seen causticcerebral's last post.
    If you're talking of both wars (14-18 + 39-45 = total of 10 years) I'm not sure - but I could be wrong - of « au fil de ».
    I personally would use this expression for 10 consecutive years.

Again, I think we need the full sentence to try to come up with the best solution.

Last edited:

causticcerebral

Farsi
    An unknown number -somewhere in the region of 60 million - people died over 10 blood-soaked years in the early part of the last century, in living memory, to keep Europe free and now we have a few hatemongers on a few soapboxes threatening to undo all of that.
    Voilà :D

causticcerebral

Farsi
    au cours de dix années sanglantes
    sounds fine to me! I have a BA and time spent in france and this seems to be the most likely solution so i don't think we can get closer than this.
    Merci itisi et à tous!

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    what we need is to include the idea that although the time periods are separate, they amount to 10 years.
    That's what I meant when I wrote in Edit :
    If you're talking of both wars (14-18 + 39-45 = total of 10 years).
    4 years + 6 years.

I can't for the life of me pinpoint why I'm not entirely comfortable with « au cours de dix années sanglantes », to mean "over a total of 10 non consecutive years".
    I'd have no problem saying for instance au cours de ma vie / des dix dernières années / de la semaine / de l'histoire / du siècle dernier = in the course of

That said, I don't have another solution. :oops: I might say like joelooc : en 10 années...

Phil512

Français - Belgique
    Hello,
    In post #6, when I suggested your (then) favourite option (au fil de), I obviously did not know enough about the context, which later appeared to imply two separate periods of time. Too bad :)
    You are now convinced that we can't go any closer.
    I don't either, unless by adding a reference to those wars. Including the context in your sentence, so to speak, and removing that "discomfort" that Nicomon is feeling . Like :
    ... au cours de dix (longues ?) années sanglantes, générées par/réparties en deux guerres mondiales au début de...
    Not a literal translation in any way, but trying to be constructive. It might be severely redundant with the rest of your story, though (?)

Phil512

Français - Belgique
    I don't either....it would of course imply that the English version should be adapted in the same way. For what it's worth... and only in the case that the OP is the author.

Last edited:

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    Suggestion... et vous en ferez ce que vous voudrez :
    Au cours des dix années sanglantes (de guerre) du début du siècle dernier.

Last edited: