Overdo it

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

Does "overdo it" meaning "to do (something) in an excessive or extreme way - Merriam-Webster" sound natural/correct in the examples that I created below?

a. [A man alerts one of his students during a soccer practice]: You're overdoing it. You're being too aggressive and committing serious fouls. It's hurting your friends.
b. [Son (in a family party, says out loud]: Our dad is the best, smartest, nicest and funniest person in the world. Don't you agree? [everybody looks at him (son) suprisedly] Sorry. I think I'm overdoing it.

Thank you in advance!

• owlman5

English-US
    Those seem to be reasonable contexts in which to use "overdoing it", Xavier.

In the first example, the use of "overdoing it" indicates that part of being a good soccer player is having the ability to play aggressively without being too aggressive. This is probably true but may not be obvious to the player who hears "You're overdoing it". "You're being too aggressive" seems a little more likely to me.

The second example seems very likely to me as a context in which "overdoing something" makes immediate and obvious sense.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >