overhaul v/s revamp

minederien

French
Hello all,

Are these two words interchangeable? If we're talking about a building, is revamping it similar to overhauling it? And could a magazine be revamped or overhauled?
Thank you

• moonglade

English - American
    For the building, revamped and overhauled are interchangeable. For a magazine I think "revised" fits better.

MJSinLondon

English - UK (London)
    'Revamping' a building and 'overhauling' a building both sound strange to me. We don't have much context to go on, but 'refurbishing' a building might be a better word.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hello all,

Are these two words interchangeable? If we're talking about a building, is revamping it similar to overhauling it? And could a magazine be revamped or overhauled?
    Thank you
    For a magazine, I assume you are talking about the graphic design. For that, you would normally say something other than revamped or overhauled, but either of those might be used in the overblown language of some segments of the advertising and journalism worlds.

If you are talking about editorial content, or political or philosophical stance, I suppose you might use either verb in a figurative sense. Overhauled would be more dramatic, implying greater changes than revamped.

< Previous | Next >