Overlook the departure

Metanoy

Russian
Good day!

If I want to say that I missed my train (the train departed but I came at a station too late) can I say that I overlooked the departure of my train?

• e2efour

UK English
    No. You might say that you paid no attention to the time of departure of your train, but this sounds rather clumsy, compared with I missed my train.

Metanoy

Russian
    I want to say that while I was in a refreshment room the train departed, and I didn't notice it. Can I use overlook in this case?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    No. If anything, it is not the train that you failed to notice, nor is it the train's departure. If it was your intention to travel on the train, you would not be wanting to notice its departure. What seems to have happened is that you were asleep, or distracted, perhaps absorbed in conversation or in a book, and you failed to keep an eye on the clock, and the next thing you noticed was that train had already been and gone. We don't use "overlook" for that.

e2efour

UK English
    I'm not sure what you want he missed how he became an old man to mean.

Do you mean something like He became an old man before he knew it? In other words, old age came along without him realising.

< Previous | Next >