overtones of potato chips: "Lolita" (Nabokov)

< Previous | Next >

az09

Chinese
Please help me to understand the meaning of <<-->> "overtones of potato chips" << --- second question deleted --- >> in the following sentence from Chapter 32 of Nabokov's Lolita.

The bed was a frightful mess with overtones of potato chips. She tried on a two-piece navy wool, then a sleeveless blouse with a swirly clathrate skirt, but the first was too tight and the second too ample, and when I begged her to hurry up (the situation was beginning to frighten me), Lo viciously sent those nice presents of mine hurtling into a corner, and put on yesterday’s dress.

Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    One definition of "overtone", in my dictionary, is a "quality of subtle or elusive character".
    I associate it with the way in which people talk about wine, when they discern subtle flavors.
    Meanwhile, there is nothing subtle about potato chips spilled in a bed. So Nabokov is having an ironic joke.
    << --- second answer deleted --- >>

Last edited by a moderator:

az09

Chinese
    One definition of "overtone", in my dictionary, is a "quality of subtle or elusive character".
    I associate it with the way in which people talk about wine, when they discern subtle flavors.
    Meanwhile, there is nothing subtle about potato chips spilled in a bed. So Nabokov is having an ironic joke.
    << --- second answer deleted --- >>
    Thank you!

< Previous | Next >