overwhelmed by far their apparent differences

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does "their apparent differences" refer to "the differences between "the excellent public ones and the very plush private hospital" and "the rural and shabby ones"?

But if so, "It hardly matters which psychiatric hospital" would have contradicted it.

So I have no clue what the differences refer to.

Thanks in advance

A patient who had not heard a call for medication would be roundly excoriated, and the morning attendants would often wake patients with, “Come on, you m_ _ _ _ _ f _ _ _ _ _ s, out of bed!”

Neither anecdotal nor “hard” data can convey the overwhelming sense of powerlessness which invades the individual as he is continually exposed to the depersonalization of the psychiatric hospital. It hardly matters which psychiatric hospital the excellent public ones and the very plush private hospital were better than the rural and shabby ones in this regard, but, again, the features that psychiatric hospitals had in common overwhelmed by far their apparent differences.

—David L. Rosenhan

Source

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Public is different from private, plush is different from shabby... etc. There are six adjectives here, so that gives (I think) fifteen combinations of difference, but none of them matter because they are overwhelmed by the features the hospitals have in common.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Public is different from private, plush is different from shabby... etc. There are six adjectives here, so that gives (I think) fifteen combinations of difference, but none of them matter because they are overwhelmed by the features the hospitals have in common.
    :thumbsup:

kentix

English - U.S.
    Basically, he's saying that all psychiatric hospitals are bad by the nature of what they do and what they deal with. Some are just a bit more pleasant than others, but not enough to make a huge difference. The bad overwhelms the good in all of them.

< Previous | Next >