overwhelmed by their hospitality

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering whether overwhelmed is a negative word:

"They are so friendly that when you come to Chongqing, you will feel overwhelmed by their hospitality. (They refer to the people in Chongqing.)

• pob14

American English
    Well, it's possible for "overwhelmed" to be positive; if you Google "overwhelmed by outpouring of support," you'll find many examples of people who have been helped following greater or lesser tragedies.

However, in the example in this thread, it gives me the impression that the hospitality will be so great that I will feel uncomfortable, at least until I get used to it.

Sun14

Chinese
    Well, it's possible for "overwhelmed" to be positive; if you Google "overwhelmed by outpouring of support," you'll find many examples of people who have been helped following greater or lesser tragedies.

However, in the example in this thread, it gives me the impression that the hospitality will be so great that I will feel uncomfortable, at least until I get used to it.
    Then, is welcomed more appropriate?

pob14

American English
    But I don't read any such negative meaning in the given context, pob. Am I too gregarious:confused:?
    More likely I'm too . . . whatever the opposite of gregarious is. It makes me picture people joining me at lunch, shaking my hand and welcoming me on the train, chatting with me before a show starts - all the things that would make me feel, well, overwhelmed. :eek:

Since I'm not sure what behavior you're actually describing, Sun14, I don't know how to suggest an accurate description for it.

Sun14

Chinese
    More likely I'm too . . . whatever the opposite of gregarious is. It makes me picture people joining me at lunch, shaking my hand and welcoming me on the train, chatting with me before a show starts - all the things that would make me feel, well, overwhelmed. :eek:

Since I'm not sure what behavior you're actually describing, Sun14, I don't know how to suggest an accurate description for it.
    I want to describe the people in Chongqing are warm-hearted just like the weather "hot". And you will feel welcomed when you travel here.

< Previous | Next >