overwhelmed by thoughts

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
Hello everyone,

I can't understand the meaning of "overwhelmed" although I've checked many dictionaries.

If you have social phobia, you may find yourself overwhelmed by thoughts like:
"I know I'll end up looking like a fool."
"I won't have anything to say.I'll seem boring"

I'll appreciate any help.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Siavash. If you are "overwhelmed by thoughts", the thoughts are frequent and powerful. The thoughts disturb you in some way, and you don't know how to deal with them.

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Hi, Siavash. If you are "overwhelmed by thoughts", the thoughts are frequent and powerful. The thoughts disturb you in some way, and you don't know how to deal with them.
    Thanks a million owlman for being the first helper in my thread.

I went through numerous definitions in dictionaries and found this one likely to fit the above context:

USUALLY PASSIVE)to exist in such great amounts that someone or something cannot deal with them.

Another dictionary:
    If work or a problem overwhelms someone, it is too much or too difficult to deal with.

Are these the correct definitions?

She was overwhelmed by expenses.

In June the town is overwhelmed by tourists.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Here's another definition of overwhelm (from the American Heritage Dictionary): to affect deeply in mind or emotion.
    It needn't be negative. One can be overwhelmed emotionally by joy or surprise as well as by sadness or anxiety.

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Here's another definition of overwhelm (from the American Heritage Dictionary): to affect deeply in mind or emotion.
    It needn't be negative. One can be overwhelmed emotionally by joy or surprise as well as by sadness or anxiety.
    Hi parla, thanks for your contribution.
    My impression is the definition that you provided, is somewhat different from the ones I gave in post 3.
    If I'm wrong, please tell me.

< Previous | Next >