owner's yacht

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
Hello everyone

it's not quite clear to me what this expression means. The sentence goes:
"Blair's mother and Cyrus were still out sailing on some owner's yacht, so no one had seen them yet." (from C.von Ziegesar's "All I Want Is Everything")
Does it mean that the yacht was owned by someone else, and it was only rented by them or ... ?
Thanks ;)

• Mister Micawber

USA, English
    Hard to judge without more context. It seems that the owners are owners of something else in the story-- and it could be anything, from the little you've given us.

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    Hard to judge without more context. It seems that the owners are owners of something else in the story-- and it could be anything, from the little you've given us.
    Well, there is no context actually. At least none that would clear up the confusion about the yacht. All I can tell you is that B's mother and Cyrus are not the owners of the yacht. So could this mean they rented it?

Ecossaise

English
    Maybe they are guests of the yacht's owner, but the narrator doesn't know who that is. "some owner" seems to imply this.

Mister Micawber

USA, English
    But then, why wouldn't it read simply 'someone's (or someone else's or a rented) yacht'? That is the expected construction.

It just seems odd as is.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    My guess is that either Blair's mother or Cyrus have a job that gives them access to expensive yachts. Perhaps because they work in a marina. They have taken one of the owners' yachts - without the owner's permission - for purposes best not gone into.

< Previous | Next >