Oxymorons/los oximoron

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
If anyone is interested, we could begin the Official WordReference multilingual list of oxymorons, in whatever languages you please.

Here's a beginning:

Juegos de guerra/war games

and one of my favorites:
military intelligence

and let us not forget... Honorarios legales razonables

or Non-stop flight.

What are your favorites?

saludos,
Cuchuflete

• timpeac

English (England)
    Tax relief.
    Artificial life.
    Reality TV.
    Cat fish (etc) (not sure if that one counts as not completely opposite)
    Stress relief.

Say, this is fun!!:D

By the way, why does "non-stop flight" count? I´m guessing that you put this in because what else could a flight be but non-stop (unless you´re very unlucky:eek: ). This is tautological but not an oxymoron I think (I thought this was an apparent contradiction in terms). Could you please just provide a definition so we´re all on the same page.

Great idea!

OlivierG

France / Français
    I'd add a few, in French:
    guerre propre / clean war
    champagne californien / Californian champagne
    discrimination positive / positive discrimination
    riposte préventive / preemptive defense? (not sure about this one)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    timpeac said:
    Tax relief.
    Artificial life.
    Reality TV.
    Cat fish (etc) (not sure if that one counts as not completely opposite)
    Stress relief.

Say, this is fun!!:D

By the way, why does "non-stop flight" count? I´m guessing that you put this in because what else could a flight be but non-stop (unless you´re very unlucky:eek: ). This is tautological but not an oxymoron I think (I thought this was an apparent contradiction in terms). Could you please just provide a definition so we´re all on the same page.

Great idea!
    Thanks for the contributions and the question. To me an oxymoron contains contradictory words. As all flights must have at least one stop, the point of landing at a destination, 'non-stop' contradicts 'flight', which implies a point of take-off and a point of landing.

I'll post some definitions, as that may help provoke more of this good wordplay.

thanks,
    Cuchu

PS- here's one that's not an oxymoron, but maintains the spirit...

"There is no such thing as an excess of moderation." ;)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Definiciones [de oximoron.com]

· Oxímoron. (Del gr. oxymoron). m. Ret. Combinación en una misma estructura sintáctica de dos palabras o expresiones de significado opuesto, que originan un nuevo sentido; p. ej., un silencio atronador. (Según el Diccionario de la Real Academia Española de la Lengua)

· Oximoron. (Etim. del gr.oxymoron) m. Ret. Figura que consistía en ocultar un agudo sarcasmo bajo un aparente absurdo. (Enciclopedia Espasa)

· "En la figura que se llama oximoron, se aplica a una palabra un epíteto que parece contradecirla; así los gnósticos hablaron de una luz oscura; los alquimistas, de un sol negro". ("El Zahir"; J. L. Borges)

· ¿Cuál es el pural de "oxímoron"?Oxímoron permanece invariable en plural: los oxímoron.
    oxymoron [ɑ:ksi:mɔrɑ:n]Anoun
    1 oxymoron

conjoining contradictory terms (as in `deafening silence') del diccionario de WR.

Saludos,
    Cuchuflete

timpeac

English (England)
    cuchuflete said:
    Thanks for the contributions and the question. To me an oxymoron contains contradictory words. As all flights must have at least one stop, the point of landing at a destination, 'non-stop' contradicts 'flight', which implies a point of take-off and a point of landing.
    ;)
    Ah yes, I see what you mean now, yes you´re absolutely right. I was reading it as "non-stopover flight" which would be tautological but not an oxymoron.:thumbsup:

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    timpeac said:
    Ah yes, I see what you mean now, yes you´re absolutely right. I was reading it as "non-stopover flight" which would be tautological but not an oxymoron.:thumbsup:
    Hola Tim,
    If one hangs around these pages long enought, it's almost certain that he will stumble across a tautologically redundant circumlocution! Perhaps with

partial success

cheers,
    Cuchu

Sev

France, french.
    cuchuflete said:
    and one of my favorites:
    military intelligence
    :D
    Other ones in French :
    croissance zéro (zero economic growth)
    mondialisation à visage humain (stg like : humanisitic globalization ?)
    silence eloquent (eloquent silence ? i think i'm wrong :confused: )
    armes non letales (non-killing weapons)

Feel free to correct my translation mistakes :)

vic_us

Banned
    Argentina-Spanish
    Guerra santa

(I still don't know what exactly an oxymoron is. I think that some of the examples we posed don't quite live up to the definition and we would need some true New Englander to sort things out. However, I find it more amusing and entertaining than the game between the Spurs 75 and Miami Heat 78 (fourth quarter at 8:30')! )

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    vic_us said:
    Guerra santa

(I still don't know what exactly an oxymoron is. I think that some of the examples we posed don't quite live up to the definition and we would need some true New Englander to sort things out. However, I find it more amusing and entertaining than the game between the Spurs 75 and Miami Heat 78 (fourth quarter at 8:30')! )
    A true New Englander was not born in Wisconsin, and is likely a Red Sox and Pats fan, so I certainly do not qualify. However, I am please to suggest that you read post #6 of this thread between foul shots.

Cuchu

Military Music
    Thundering silence

vic_us

Banned
    Argentina-Spanish
    Let me rephrase my question: Are all the examples that have been suggested oxymorons? Do all examples live up to the definition given above?

I've always struggled with this word. The only way I could make sense of it before and even after reaching the stage of formal operations (Piaget) was by picturing a moron (I have always been surrounded by them) sitting on an ox.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Tensa calma , los sonidos del silencio

Quiet riot

From Romeo and Juliet :arrow:

"... Why then, O brawling love! O loving hate!
    O anything! O nothing first create!
    O heavy lightness! serious vanity!
    Mis-shapen chaos of well-seeming forms!..."

"En la figura que se llama Oximoron, se aplica a una palabra un epíteto que parece contradecirla; así los gnósticos hablaron de una luz oscura; los alquimistas, de un sol negro...... "Jorge Luis Borges

"Nella figura retorica chiamata ossimoro, si applica ad una parola un aggettivo che sembra contraddirla; così gli gnostici parlavano di una luce oscura; gli alchimisti di un sole nero” Jorge Luis Borges

:idea: OriginalCopy
    :idea: DoctaIgnorantia (Sant'Agostino, Epistole 130,28)
    :idea: RandomOrder
    :idea: DolceAmaro
    :idea: RealtàVirtuale

Bye!! ;) :p :)

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    "It's a definite maybe"
    Alone together
    Dry ice
    Freezer burn
    "Same difference" (Gosh, I say this too much . . . )
    Terribly good
    "Eyes Wide Shut"

Apparently: Oxymoron. The word oxymoron is itself an oxymoron! It is derived from two Greek words: oxus meaning "sharp" and moros meaning "dull."

:eek: :D :p

< Previous | Next >