Pétillante sur plate

< Previous | Next >

JP999

English
Hi there

I have come across the phrase "Pétillante sur plate ça va, plate sur pétillante tout fout l'camp" in a song, and I'm rather flummoxed as to what it means!

I would love to try and attempt to translate this, but apart from the last bit (tout fout l'camp = everything is falling apart) I don't have a clue, all I can fathom is "Pétillante sur plate" is ok, but "plate sur pétillante" is not!

Thanks in advance for helping me!

• youngneil

French (France)
    It is related to water.

"Plate" means "flat", "pétillante" means "sparkling".

"Sur" means "on top of".

There is a saying in French about wine : "Rouge sur blanc, tout fout l'camp" (as opposed to "Blanc sur rouge, rien ne bouge"), meaning if you drink red wine after white, you are likely to be sick.

This is a humourous variation on this saying (and if it is in a song, it could also be an image for women, who knows?).

guillaumedemanzac

English - Southern England Home Counties
    The same logic applies to wine: flat white is ok followed by sparkling but sparkling followed by flat is not a good idea.
    The German equivalent has the same principle : wine on beer, that's fair; beer on wine, not so fine - sorry I can't remember the German exactly.
    The problem with your song is that they are making a joke out of a well-known phrase and eau is feminine so plate and pétillante are correct but wine is masculin so if it is wine they are talking about it should be plat and pétillant.
    However I don't think the joke works with water - why does evian following perrier make you crazy/ill/out of your mind? And why is the opposite OK??
    guillaume

youngneil

French (France)
    However I don't think the joke works with water - why does evian following perrier make you crazy/ill/out of your mind? And why is the opposite OK??
    We would need more context to understand the joke if there is one...

< Previous | Next >