Pétros Márkaris & Kostas Charitos

Rainbowlight

Spanish
Hello everyone,

I would like to know what is the pronunciation of these two names: the name of the Greek writer Pétros Márkaris and that of one of his most popular characters, Kostas Charitos.

Thank you very much for your help and kindness.

• Michael Zwingli

English (U.S.A. - New England)
    I think I can handle this question. Márkaris/Μάρκαρης would be pronounced in a way very similar to the way that the word Márkaris would be pronounced in Spanish (with the rhotics as voiced alveolar trills and emphasis as indicated by the diacritic). Charitos, however, is not pronounced as it would be in Spanish. The "Ch" of this, "X" in Greek, represents a voiceless velar fricative (pronounced like "kh", or like the "ch" in the Hebrew phrase "le chaim!"/"to life!"). I believe that in Greek this is Χάριτoς, the pronunciation of which would be as if spelled "Kharitos", with the emphasis on the "a". This surname apparently derives from the given name Χάρις, and that from the Ancient Greek noun χᾰ́ρῐς ("charm"/"grace"), whence also our English word "charisma".

There you have it...probably more than you wanted to know!

Huck Finn(egan)

Greek-GR

Rainbowlight

Spanish
    I think I can handle this question. Márkaris/Μάρκαρης would be pronounced in a way very similar to the way that the word Márkaris would be pronounced in Spanish (with the rhotics as voiced alveolar trills and emphasis as indicated by the diacritic). Charitos, however, is not pronounced as it would be in Spanish. The "Ch" of this, "X" in Greek, represents a voiceless velar fricative (pronounced like "kh", or like the "ch" in the Hebrew phrase "le chaim!"/"to life!"). I believe that in Greek this is Χάριτoς, the pronunciation of which would be as if spelled "Kharitos", with the emphasis on the "a". This surname apparently derives from the given name Χάρις, and that from the Ancient Greek noun χᾰ́ρῐς ("charm"/"grace"), whence also our English word "charisma".

There you have it...probably more than you wanted to know!
    It's more than enough! : )

Thank you so much for your detailed answer.