P.M and A.M.

Snickle

United States-English
Hi! I have been trying to find the French equivilent of "p.m." and "a.m." as in, "I am meeting my friend at 1:00p.m. (afternoon)." "I had to get out of bed this morning at 5:00a.m." My fourth grade daughter needs to know for school. Thanks! Snickle

• GenJen54

USA - English
    Originally posted by SnickleI have been trying to find the French equivilent of "p.m." and "a.m." as in, "I am meeting my friend at 1:00p.m. (afternoon)." "I had to get out of bed this morning at 5:00a.m." My fourth grade daughter needs to know for school. Thanks! Snickle
    Hello, Snickle.

Bienvenue aux forums! We're glad to have you here.

Typically, the French do not use the "equivalent" of a.m. or p.m., because most of them use the 24 hour clock.

The answer to your question would be:

J'ai du me se lever a cinq heures.

Egalement, vous pourriez dire: J'ai du me se lever a cinq heures du matin.

Both would be understood as "in the morning." The second construction emphasizes that fact.

The answer to your second sentence is:

Je vais rencontrer mon ami a treize heures. (treize heures = thirteen o'clock)

Just so you know, it is usually best to start your own thread in order to post a new question. That way, you will benefit more greatly from the wisdom of the many posters to these forums. We also try to stay "on topic" as much as possible. Some forum moderators allow more leeway in this than do others.

If you would like to respond to someone off-topic, you are always welcome to send them a private message.

If you have any additional questions, you are always welcome to send me a PM, or you can read the forum rules, which you can find here.

Again, welcome! We're glad to have you here.

GenJen

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    GenJen54 said:
    Hello, Snickle.

Bienvenue aux forums! We're glad to have you here.

Typically, the French do not use the "equivalent" of a.m. or p.m., because most of them use the 24 hour clock.

The answer to your question would be:

J'ai du me se lever a cinq heures.

Egalement, vous pourriez dire: J'ai du me se lever a cinq heures du matin.

Both would be understood as "in the morning." The second construction emphasizes that fact.

The answer to your second sentence is:

Je vais rencontrer mon ami a treize heures. (treize heures = thirteen o'clock)

Just so you know, it is usually best to start your own thread in order to post a new question. That way, you will benefit more greatly from the wisdom of the many posters to these forums. We also try to stay "on topic" as much as possible. Some forum moderators allow more leeway in this than do others.

If you would like to respond to someone off-topic, you are always welcome to send them a private message.

If you have any additional questions, you are always welcome to send me a PM, or you can read the forum rules, which you can find here.

Again, welcome! We're glad to have you here.

GenJen
    I agree that this should be the topic of a new thread, but I just have one comment:

"me se lever" is incorrect.
    It should be "me lever."

Also "dû" has a circumflex.

< Previous | Next >