Paño fijo

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by gotitadeleche, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. gotitadeleche Senior Member

    Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    Field and topic:
    Regarding windows on architectural drawings from Panama, I have seen the word paño used and the context suggests "pane". I cannot find any support for that in the dictionaries. The dictionaries use the word hoja for pane. In searching the Internet, I find that there is a difference between paño fijo and hoja fija, but I cannot understand what that difference is. The example on the Internet seemed to show a thicker frame for one of them, but it wasn´t clear to me if the thicker frame was the paño or the hoja. Can someone explain it to me, and how extensive is the use of paño in this context?

    Thank you.

    Sample sentence:
    I don´t have a full sentence, just a note that points to a fixed window and says "paño fijo".

  2. Eddie

    Eddie Senior Member

    Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    Hi, Gotita.

    A pane is a
    sheet of glass. It's not limited to windows only. The term paño fijo refers to any stationary pane of glass (framed or not). The opposite is, of course, paño móbil.

    To clear up any confusion about this, you can click here to see examples of the difference. The examples you see can be applied to windows as well.
  3. gotitadeleche Senior Member

    Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    Thank you Eddie for the reply, but I don't think I explained myself very well. The architectural drawings that I have point to what looks like a fixed window and notes "paño fijo". I have never heard of that meaning for paño so I looked in the dictionaries and all the definitions that I found referred to cloth, not glass or windows. Ok, so I looked up pane and the definition said hoja (no option for paño). So I went searching on the Internet where I found many references to paño related to glass and windows, and one site had a drawing explaining the difference between "paño fijo" and "hoja fija". But the way it was represented, I could not tell which was which, except that one had what looked like a thicker frame than the other. So with no dictionary support for the definition of paño as pane, I want to verify that that is indeed the proper term, and if the dictionaries say "hoja" is pane, then what is the difference between "hoja fija" and "paño fijo"? I hope I am making myself clear.

    Thanks again,
  4. clipper Senior Member

    England´s english
    Gotita (if you´re still interested in this topic),

    I am having exactly the same problem translating paño accuratley. If it helps I am working with building specifications where "paño" does not soley refer to glass. For example:

    Los paños macizos no se tocarán manteniendo la actual fábrica de ladrillo.....

    Therefore the similarity with the english "pane" is misleading, the best all round translation I can find so far is "face" used as if it meant "vertical surface".

    I hope someone can clarify this or prove my ideas wrong if indeed I have got the wrong end of the stick.....

  5. palomdra

    palomdra Senior Member

    I completely agree with clipper. I am also trying to translate "paño" in a building context and I think it refers to areas, as "paño ciego" is the area of a facade without windows or holes, and "paño vidriado" is the area with glass.
  6. la flaquita New Member

    Español - uruguay
    The meaning of "paño" depends on localisms. It usually refers to any flat plane in construction (stucco, glass, etc.) built up in a continuous material. In my country (Uruguay) "paño fijo" refers to a fixed window pane, separeted by a tramson or similar from a movable leaf or sliding window.
  7. Cancion

    Cancion Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    Spanish Argentina
    How would you translate into spanish Paño fijo? GRACIAS

Share This Page