pacci??

Ariadna

Español - Spain
I have asked about this word in the English-spanish forum but I don't seem to get an answer; maybe it is an italian word. The context was this:

-Hi, nice to see you again! How is X and your brother? I missed you these two months without news...

-They are ok. Are you like my pacci or something?

¿Could anybody help me? Thanks a lot.:)

• Silvia

Italian
    That word is not Italian. Since it's an English expression, I'm moving this thread to the English Only Forum, hopefully someone will be able to help you there :)

Ariadna

Español - Spain
    Thanks Sylviap for moving the post here; I had never thought of asking about it in this forum..

And to answer Isp, that word was said by an American boy, from Michigan. No idea what it means!:confused:

Focalist

European Union, English
    the tree said:
    I really don't know, this is bit of a long shot but might he have in fact been saying posse?

Posse: nounYour crew, gang, set, team or group of friends.
    I think you may have cracked it, tt! Especially given Ariadna's information that the boy in question came from Michigan, where they're famous for turning short o into ah, hence "posse" becomes "pahssee".

Some more Michiganisms:
    Cahngriss (Congress)
    haahkee (hockey)
    maahm (mom)
    Pahneeack (Pontiac)
    pahp (pop -- the soda drink; your father is your dayahd)​
    F

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Focalist said:
    I think you may have cracked it, tt! Especially given Ariadna's information that the boy in question came from Michigan, where they're famous for turning short o into ah, hence "posse" becomes "pahssee".

Some more Michiganisms:
    Cahngriss (Congress)
    haahkee (hockey)
    maahm (mom)
    Pahneeack (Pontiac)
    pahp (pop -- the soda drink; your father is your dayahd)​
    F
    Thanks F-

You've just debunked the widespread belief that Michiganders are only famous for the crowning of the Cherry Queen in Traverse City, and the astounding number of murders in the Detroit area.

C-

Ariadna

Español - Spain
    Focalist said:

F
    Entonces podría ser eso, ¿no? Quiero decir, si "posse" lo pronuncia "pahssee" puede que lo haya intentado escribir tal como suena, /patxi/ o /patzi/ o /pa:zi/---->pacci

No sé, ¿podría ser?

Focalist

European Union, English
    Ariadna said:
    Entonces podría ser eso, ¿no? Quiero decir, si "posse" lo pronuncia "pahssee" puede que lo haya intentado escribir tal como suena, /patxi/ o /patzi/ o /pa:zi/---->pacci

No sé, ¿podría ser?
    Sí, totalmente. ¡Lo mismo quise sugerir yo!

F

Ariadna

Español - Spain
    Ah, all right then; your post seemed contradictory to me since i had misunderstood the word "crack" and thought you were telling TT that he had put his foot into it or something like that :( ; but now that I know it means "to discover the mystery" it all makes sense. :) Thanks!

(Sorry for my previous post in Spanish in this forum. I didn't realize...)

< Previous | Next >