pack some heat

< Previous | Next >

gwedynn

Spain
Could somebody tell me the meaning of the expression "to pack some heat"? Could it mean something like "to make a racket"? That would fit.

Thanks a lot.

• gwedynn

Spain
    Ese significado también me sirve, incluso mejor que el que yo sugerí. Muchas gracias por ayudarme.

jfbujalance

España - español
    Hola. El diccionario de WordReference traduce esta expresión simplemente como ir armado, o ir calzado (que parece una expresión propia de Argentina). Creo que es una expresión coloquial y habría que buscar otra traducción más ajustada o extendida por otros países, quizá llevar una pipa (en España al menos)o algo así.

gengo

American English
    In my experience, for the meaning of "to be armed," the expression is only "to pack (or, to be packing) heat," without the word "some." When that word is added, it changes the meaning, so we would need context to know the meaning (as requested back in 2008).

Ex.
    1. The 1978 Chevy Nova police car packed some heat under its hood. This car had everything you might think a police officer would want.
    2. [In the Thai dish,] the veggies were fresh and the chicken tender, and it packed some heat.

In #1 it means that the engine was powerful. #2 means that the food was spicy (hot).

< Previous | Next >