Pacos, guanacos y lumas

AFY

English / U.S.
I would like to translate the refrain from the from the Tijoux song "Shock". "Pacos, guanacos y lumas / Pacos, guanacos y tunas) this refrain refers to cops, the common man (the protesters) and to ???

What are lumas and tunas in this context?

I am guessing that one is tear gas canisters.

This song is about the student protests in Chile.

Last edited:
  • Dlyons

English - Ireland
    A "paco" in Chile is a cop. "guanaco" a water-cannon. "luma" I'm not sure of - it's a hardwood tree so I'm guessing a truncheon.

[edit] "tuna" might be a student music group?

Oldy Nuts

Spanish - Chile
    Guanaco is a common quadruped in the central Andean regions, that suddenly spits at people. In Chile it is also the colloquial name given to the police vehicles used for throwing water to people.

Luma is a native tree with very hard wood that was (don't know if it still is) used for making police clubs, which are colloquially called lumas.

happy_ines

español
    luma is a bat, wood gun ussed for cops
    tuna is a way to saying bullets

and its a great song of Anita Tijoux

amolinacl

Spanish - Chile
    I would like to translate the refrain from the from the Tijoux song "Shock". "Pacos, guanacos y lumas / Pacos, guanacos y tunas) this refrain refers to cops, the common man (the protesters) and to ???

What are lumas and tunas in this context?

I am guessing that one is tear gas canisters.

This song is about the student protests in Chile.
    Paco = PoliceMan Like Rosco Purvis Coltrane or Clancy Wiggum
    Guanaco=>Wild Lama => Water Cannon Vehicles
    Luma = > Tonfa => tong fa' => Melee weapon => In chile made with Arrayan Three or Myrtus luma a hard Wood, the Mapuche People Make Wooden Weapons

Mapu=Earth Che=People
    Ñuke Mapu = Mother Earth