New Member
English (Nationality: British)
Hello everyone:)

I know that PACS are Pactes Civil de Solidarité but I was wondering what the appropriate English translation for this would be. What is the difference between this term and the words conjoint and concubin?

Merci beaucoup!
  • panzemeyer

    Senior Member
    France / French
    Conjoints = married people.
    Concubins = people living together, without any legal ties.

    PACS is half-way between those 2 situations. It creates some legal rights but not as strong as in the case of marriage. Plus, PACS is a contract that can be signed by same sex people, making it possible for homosexuals to get something close to marriage.


    Senior Member
    UK English
    In the UK this is called civil partnership. However civil partnership is only an open as an option for same sex couples.


    Senior Member

    Reactivating this old thread because I'm looking for the American English translation of this word.

    Would "civil partnership agreement" be an acceptable translation ?

    Thanks in advance


    Senior Member
    Bonsoir, (et merci ain'ttranslationfun?)

    Je viens de trouver ceci sur la toile -source US gvt- and I think it works in my context.

    I'll use this one.
    < Previous | Next >