pad-notebook-notepad

nurdug51

Germany,German
Is there a difference between the three mentioned in the title or is there just a difference between American and British usage?
I would like to know the word for the one which is used at school (not the small ones for telephone notes etc) and which is often held together on the left.
Thanks.

• mjscott

American English
    In the Pacific Northwest of the US, if it has a wire binding it's called a spiral bound notebook.
    If it has 3 rings that hold loose paper together it's called a 3-ring binder.

I'm not sure, but for me, personally, a notebook is bound on the left--whereas a notepad is bound at the top.

timpeac

English (England)
    In the Pacific Northwest of the US, if it has a wire binding it's called a spiral bound notebook.
    If it has 3 rings that hold loose paper together it's called a 3-ring binder.

I'm not sure, but for me, personally, a notebook is bound on the left--whereas a notepad is bound at the top.
    Yes, that's the distinction as I understand it too. The "notebook" is often more "official" than the "notepad" to my mind too (I'd expect more scribblings and doodles in a notepad, if that makes any sense...).

< Previous | Next >