Pad

Rejzko

In Red Dwarf XI, episode 1. The crew of Red Dwarf is forced to negotiate with invaders. The following conversation takes place.¨

RIMMER: I’ve done JMC crisis negotiation Lister. I’m handling this. Now get me a pad and open comms.
LISTER: Okay, Arn, we’re working on the pad, but in return I’m gonna need something from you.
RIMMER: Wait a minute. Are you just using your hostage negotiation techniques on me? Just get me a damn pad!
LISTER: Okay Arnold, we’re working on the pad, but you gotta realise I cant pull a pad out my ass in five minutes. I’ve gotta talk to my boss. They’ve gotta talk to their boss. They’ve gotta talk to the DA.

No "pad" can be seen in this scene. What does "pad" mean here? (writingr pad to make notes, IPad or tablet, some technical device?,)

• heypresto

English - England
    Who knows? This is science fiction.

My surmise is that it's the self-replicating zero-energy Mitra pad with the infraspace modulators. I could be wrong.
    I'm pretty sure that infraspace modulators had recently become obsolete when this was recorded, and so it's more likely to be the self-replicating zero-energy Mitra Pad 2.1, which sported three of the new Bosean Hyperdimensional Dualicators.

I could be wrong.

Rejzko

Thanks, but isn't it too sophisticated? From the context it should be something needed during the negotiations, maybe something that enables sommunication with another ship. But even this is weird because the crew is already talking with the other ship.

Myridon

English - US
    He's using a tactic that might be used in a hostage negotiation - delaying - but in a comical way as if it's difficult to get a writing tablet.
    Crisis negotiator: What are your demands?
    Hostage taker: We want a million dollars and a helicopter.
    Crisis negotiator: we’re working on the helicopter, but you gotta realise I cant pull a helicopter out my ass in five minutes. I’ve gotta talk to my boss. They’ve gotta talk to their boss. And the nearest one is five hours away. And there's a storm between here and there. And ...

Rejzko

He's using a tactic that might be used in a hostage negotiation - delaying - but in a comical way as if it's difficult to get a writing tablet.
    Crisis negotiator: What are your demands?
    Hostage taker: We want a million dollars and a helicopter.
    Crisis negotiator: we’re working on the helicopter, but you gotta realise I cant pull a helicopter out my ass in five minutes. I’ve gotta talk to my boss. They’ve gotta talk to their boss. And the nearest one is five hours away. And there's a storm between here and there. And ...
    So you think it could be "writing tablet"? Because that is what I thought. That they are parodying real negotiations.

heypresto

English - England
    Unless they actually produce the thing they are referring to as a pad at some stage in the story, (which they would do if it was important) there is really no way to know exactly what it means. We can only guess.

< Previous | Next >