paddeology

Pospis

Spain - Spanish
Hi to all!!

Back to the irish Flann O´Brienn´s problems.

Does anyone know what does he mean with paddeology when saying in a dialogue between St Agustin and another Character:

"-I have read all the philosophy of the Fathers, before and after Nicaea: Chrysostom, Ambrose, Athanasius.
-If you have read Athanasius you have not understood him. The result of your studies might be termed a corpus of patristic paddeology".

I could see some ironical sense in that, maybe related to the word Paddy (?:confused: ?), but honestly I have no idea; I have tried to find unsuccesfully some homophone that fits here but no way.

Has anyone a nice idea?

Thanks a lot.

• timpeac

English (England)
    As soon as I read your thread title I though to myself as a joke "ah the study of Irishmen" thinking that "paddeology" would turn out to be a real word. Now reading your post I think that this term is a joke meaning exactly that.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I am facing a build-up I do not deserve and don't know how to live up to.
    I would never try to outwit the bould Flann O'Brien.

I think we're into punning country here with Paddy, ideology and possibly even a passing reference to Patrick Kavanagh's poem The Paddiad.

The real "Flann" - it was one of the pen names of Brian O'Nolan, had a great hatred of the plastic Irishman of his day - I presume this is just one of his many digs at them.

Beir bua!

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    --ooops--
    I left out the most important part of the pun there, theology - which would have been a much talked of matter in 'certain quarters' in the Ireland of Flann's day - much talked about but little understood. There was a type of lay-person much involved in his local church affairs (or so he thought, but actually totally under the thumb of the local PP, and looked down on by him) who would have tried to flaunt his alleged 'reading' of certain saints' writings.

Pospis

Spain - Spanish
    maxiogee said:
    --ooops--
    I left out the most important part of the pun there, theology - which would have been a much talked of matter in 'certain quarters' in the Ireland of Flann's day - much talked about but little understood. There was a type of lay-person much involved in his local church affairs (or so he thought, but actually totally under the thumb of the local PP, and looked down on by him) who would have tried to flaunt his alleged 'reading' of certain saints' writings.
    Thanks. Very useful as always. It realy helps.
    Now the best part is to try to find a nice translation to all that pun.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Don't translate it, or if you feel you must then keep the 'paddy'
    part and graft it onto the root word in Spanish for ~ology from theology… might I suggest paddeología. Provided, of course, that an Irishman would be known in Spain as "a Paddy".

timpeac

English (England)
    maxiogee said:
    Don't translate it, or if you feel you must then keep the 'paddy'
    part and graft it onto the root word in Spanish for ~ology from theology… might I suggest paddeología. Provided, of course, that an Irishman would be known in Spain as "a Paddy".
    No, you're normally known as English! But Pospis - can we please take any further discussion of the appropriate Spanish translation to the Spanish forum? This thread can always be posted as a link for reference.