Paddy fields are __ to make room for

< Previous | Next >

HolyUnicorn

Mandarin / the Shanghai Dialect
Paddy fields are __ to make room for housing. (I want to express that I feel sad that paddy fields are gone)

A. remove (I think this means moving something to other places, in this case paddy fields no longer exist, so remove doesn't work?)
B. bulldoze (this works, but a bit colorful ( clear as if with bulldoze), I want a more general word)
C. clear away( not sure about this one)
D. destroy (not sure about this one)

Thanks for reading my question.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    If you primarily want to convey sadness, then "lost" might be a good fit, but none of your options are inappropriate. "Remove" very rarely suggests moved somewhere else; bulldozed describes how the clearing away was done (although it does not necessarily imply a bulldozer was used), and is quite an emotive word that I think fits your meaning. Destroy is the least fitting, as it suggests a rather more dramatic removal than bulldozed or cleared away; I imagine the ground was levelled and drained, rather than dynamited.

pachanga7

English - US
    Oh gosh, isn’t a rice paddy basically a large pond with grass in it? I can’t imagine what a bulldozer would have to knock over and cart away. And whether a bulldozer would even be operable in a lake?

A better term would be one that refers to the actual process of conversion.

Paddy fields are drained
    Paddy fields are filled in

Or a general term for undoing:

Paddy fields are destroyed...
    Paddy fields are converted into housing tracts.

sdgraham

USA English
    Doesn't anybody else recognice the redundancy in "paddy fields?"
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
    pad•dy /ˈpædi/USA pronunciation n.[countable], pl. -dies.
    1. Agriculture a rice field.
    So, "paddy field" = rice-field field.:eek:

HolyUnicorn

Oh gosh, isn’t a rice paddy basically a large pond with grass in it? I can’t imagine what a bulldozer would have to knock over and cart away. And whether a bulldozer would even be operable in a lake?.
    I like your sense of humor. Indeed, it is hard to imagine:D. Thanks for all the suggestions.

HolyUnicorn

Doesn't anybody else recognice the redundancy in "paddy fields?"
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
    pad•dy /ˈpædi/USA pronunciation n.[countable], pl. -dies.
    1. Agriculture a rice field.
    So, "paddy field" = rice-field field.:eek:
    If I simply say "fields are destroyed", would this cause misunderstanding? like football fields or corn fields? Unless specified otherwise, would the word "fields" alone accurately convey the meaning of rice fields?

< Previous | Next >