Paddy-weekend

nyk0

France français
Hello everybody!

Does somebody could explain to me what is a "Paddy Week-end"?

Thx in advance!

Nicolas.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello nyk0, and welcome.

Where did you find this expression?
    What was said about it?
    While you're thinking about your answer (we expect some context), it's possible that someone described last weekend as "Paddy Week-end" because Saturday was St Patrick's Day.

Ah, it might not be obvious that Paddy is a short form of Patrick.

nyk0

France français
    I work with german colleagues, and at a end of an email he said :

Best regards and a nice Paddy-weekend,
    Ralf

It was on last friday and effectively I think he said that because on saturday it was the Patrick Day.

Thx !!! ^_^

Tabac

U. S. - English
    Hello nyk0, and welcome.

Where did you find this expression?
    What was said about it?
    While you're thinking about your answer (we expect some context), it's possible that someone described last weekend as "Paddy Week-end" because Saturday was St Patrick's Day.

Ah, it might not be obvious that Paddy is a short form of Patrick.
    I didn't need a context in order to understand the question: we'd been hearing the phrase for a number of days on our local (Seattle) news. You are aware, Panjandrum, are you not, that on St. Paddy's Day everyone in the States is Irish.

se16teddy

English - England

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    Dare I say that if someone used the phrase to me, I would assume it meant a wild week-end in Ireland?
    Might I inquire why you would have this assumption? To me, the statement simply meant "have a great St. Patrick's Day weekend" or "have a great St. Paddy's Day weekend'

Orange Blossom

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Might I inquire why you would have this assumption? To me, the statement simply meant "have a great St. Patrick's Day weekend" or "have a great St. Paddy's Day weekend'

Orange Blossom
    Sure. A 'paddy' is an affectionate term for an Irishman. A paddy week-end would be a week-end with them, and they are great at wild week-ends, or so I've been told... I don't think it's right in the context, but out of context that's what I'd take it to mean.

ps.sur.mer

United States, English
    Quick question: Isn't "Paddy" somewhat offensive? I know some people who take exception to the phrase "paddy wagon."

< Previous | Next >