Paddy

< Previous | Next >

novice_81

German
Hi

An Irish guy says about his trip in a limo to L.A. He says:We ran out of petrol. We actually had to get out of the limo and push it. We had to push it for ages just to get off the highway. It was one of the great moments. There's always a little bit of Paddy just to remind you of home.

---I know the meaning of the word Paddy, but I don't know what it may mean in this context?

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    I don't know the answer but if I had to guess, it seems to have something to do with "Paddy" being representative of Irish ineptness. Perhaps there are typical, Irish, self-deprecating jokes involving a fellow named "Paddy". There are many jokes about themes or nationalities that use the same "character" repeatedly.

Perhaps one of our Irish members will come along and help out with this.

novice_81

German
    Hi

I only would like to ask if any of the Irish guys here confirms Dimcl's suggestion that it probably refers to "Paddy" who is a representative of Irish ineptness. Just to make sure :)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There are indeed many jokes about Pat or Paddy, the archetypical Irishman. These are self-deprecating and really funny (when told by natives) or insulting and likely to get the teller into trouble (when told by non-natives). You'll recognise the style from anywhere around the world.
    Patrick, Pat, Paddy ...

< Previous | Next >