paid us a visit

Sparus Aurata

Spanish, Spain
Dear coleges,

¿How did you translate this phrase? "This morning a dealer paid us a visit on behalf of the Company WVD"

I can´t understand the meaning here of "paid us", It´s posible that means something "ironic"? as the dealer "nos ha concedido una visita" ¿what you think?

Thank you and best regards

• Sparus Aurata

Spanish, Spain
    Ok, thank you all, finally I understand that "paid us" here, doesn´t have any meaning related with "pay". It´s just a way to expres that someone has come to visit you, as "nos hizo una visita". We will be able to say instead of this "This morning a dealer visit us on behalf of the Company WVD" and the meaning should be the same... Isn´t it?

Sparus Aurata

Spanish, Spain
    I have just realize that in the page of the worldreference we have diferent translations of the verb to pay:

4 (atención) prestar
    5 (un cumplido, una visita) hacer
    (los respetos) presentar

So "to pay" can mean "to make a visit or a compliment"

Thank you all¡¡¡

muriel2009

spanish
    Ok, thank you all, finally I understand that "paid us" here, doesn´t have any meaning related with "pay". It´s just a way to expres that someone has come to visit you, as "nos hizo una visita". We will be able to say instead of this "This morning a dealer visit us on behalf of the Company WVD" and the meaning should be the same... Isn´t it?

The same meaning, yes :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >