Pain, pain, go away.

< Previous | Next >

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Pain, pain, go away!

I hope this is not a direct translation of the Japanese magic words for kids in pain. Would mothers say this in English speaking countries? If not, what would they say?

Hiro

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    An inventive mother might say this, adapting the very well-known nursery rhyme "Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day..."

Otherwise, mothers say "Let me kiss it better".

HSS

Thanks, Keith and entangledbank.

Do you think the same is true in other English speaking countries? Anyone in the U.S., is it the same there?

MarcB

US English
    From the song Rain, Rain, Go Away mentioned above a pain relief company had an ad campaign that said pain, pain, go away come back another day otherwise, I agree with the others concerning what a mother would say and do by kissing.

HSS

How about kids? Would children maybe say "Pain, pain, go away" more often than adults? Or, still a minority (of kids) would only say that?

Hiro

Loob

English UK
    To be honest, Hiro, I've never heard anyone - child or adult - say "Pain, pain, go away". I like it, because of the analogy with "Rain, rain...". But it's not, at all, a standard expression.

HSS

Thanks, everyone! One of my friends residing in the U.K. says she often hears children, including her kids, whisper 'Pain, pain, go away, come back another day.' Would it be regional? She lives near Cambridge.

Loob

English UK
    I'd say her kids and their friends are playing with the "Rain, rain..." rhyme, Hiro.

HSS

Hi, Loob.

She says people in her neighborhood sings it to alleviate a kid's pain when he/she has fallen down and has a 'boo-boo.' Kind of like a magic to push it away. She says it's very popular amongst children.

Loob

English UK
    I still doubt that it's a regional expression, Hiro. But who knows, maybe the children have started something big!

Just a thought: are any of the kids American? If so, maybe they're picking up on the ad campaign mentioned by MarcB in post 6?

suzi br

English / England
    Anything is possible in a speech community. I’ve never heard kids do it. Obviously your friend lives in a place where a parent has said this enough to make it a pattern around her. It’s very possible that any number of individual people could come up with this little ditty and then it could spread out around them.

< Previous | Next >