paining/ hurting/ aching. [teeth / knees....]

hectacon

Hindi
My knees are paining or hurting or aching after the workout .

My teeth are aching/ paining/ hurting after eating your cupcakes . Sorry I forgot to separate the cup from the cakes.

Which is the appropriate verb ?

• Copyright

American English
    My teeth hurt after eating your cupcakes. (Normal, I would say.)
    My teeth ache after eating your cupcakes. (This can work because "toothache" is well known.)

Forget paining or even painful.

hectacon

Hindi
    My teeth hurt after eating your cupcakes. (Normal, I would say.)
    My teeth ache after eating your cupcakes. (This can work because "toothache" is well known.)

Forget paining or even painful.
    What about the knees it is paining more .

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    This question and discussion has been added to a previous thread.
    Cagey, moderator

Hi,

John is my good friend. So is Jim. I asked them to a party. Jim is always with John. At the party, I didn't see John, I asked Jim, where is John, Jim said:

His teeth are aching.

Is it natural?

In Chinese, we say things like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It is possible for all your teeth to be aching (dental infection, trigeminal neuralgia and other causes), hence "His teeth are aching." would be correct. It is to be distinguished from "He has toothache" which is far more common and, by default, means one of his teeth is aching.

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    It is possible for all your teeth to be aching (dental infection, trigeminal neuralgia and other causes), hence "His teeth are aching." would be correct.
    True. However, unless both people speaking know that John is suffering from one of these conditions, 'His teeth are aching' would be an unnatural thing to say in British English.

< Previous | Next >