Painting / paint.

< Previous | Next >

Marian78

Spanish -Spain
I´m terribly confused whenever I find nouns or adjectives ending in ING sometimes and other times without.

E.g Body PAINTING. --> Body PAINT??
a PAINT pot.--> Can I say "A painting pot"

I want to know if referring to the substance used for giving color to walls or whatever surface could be called "PAINTING" and " PAINT" interchangeably.

• Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Concuerdo con Agró.
    Body painting se refiere a la actividad, o la moda, etc. de pintar cuerpos. La pintura que se usa es body paint.

steemic

English (US)
    Se te refieres a la pintura que se usa para pintar el cuerpo o para pintar un macetero sería: "body paint" y "paint for pots / ceramics / etc".

Body painting es el acto de pintar el cuerpo. Por ejemplo si hay alguien que pinta los cuerpos para un festival o algo así esta persona pondría un cartel frente su puesto que dice "body painting".

Yo diría que "painting pot" sí puede tener sentido si se trata de un juego para los niños por ejemplo que viene con un macetero y pintura todo listo en un paquete.

Agró

Spanish-Navarre
    Con "paint/painting pot" sospecho que Marian buscaba cómo decir "bote de pintura", ¿no?
    Paint container/tin/can (supongo).

steemic

English (US)
    You would use in that case paint container. You couldn't use painting pot as a way to say 'bote' it just wouldn't be understood with that meaning (at least not here and I would be surprised if England would use it that way).

gengo

American English
    In my AmEn we say paint can or can of paint. Pot in the sense of a container for a liquid seems to be more common in BrEn, although there are situations in which we also use it (such as a pot of tea). House painters use large (five-gallon) containers of paint, made of plastic, and those are called paint buckets.

As explained above, we can't say "painting can," because as far as I know a can used for the action of painting does not exist. However, if you were a painter, and you had a bucket for carrying around your brushes, scrapers, cloths, and so forth, you could call that a painting bucket.

Alisterio

UK English
    I know this is confusing, but bear with me:
    paint [noun] = pintura
    a painting [countable noun] = un cuadro (pintado)
    painting [uncountable noun] = la actividad de pintar

"Paint pot" is perfectly idiomatic in BrEn, but "painting pot" is not (for the reasons explained to you by the other posters above).

Marian78

Spanish -Spain
    Thanks a lot. And yes, I wanted to find out what word is the correct for the typical container of PAINT.

< Previous | Next >