Palatable

< Previous | Next >

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
Is this fragment palatable in English?
Is it correct to use the word palatable in that way in English?

Clarification:
I need to say is using such a fragment acceptable, permissible, permitted, or something like that?

N.B: We can say what I wanted to express about in Arabic, I tried to find the most appropriate word that means what we say in Arabic and that can be used in such a context, I found no words but the words that I've mentioned above.

• Loob

English UK
    No, we wouldn't normally use "palatable" like that, ee.

Again, you might want to try posting in the Arabic forum and asking for help there in translating the word you're thinking of:).

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I think investigating the meaning of fragment would be a good idea. On this forum it means part of a sentence, but we always want a complete sentence. Palatable is not even a "fragment" it is one single word. We can't discuss words without context and a sentence showing how you propose to use it. I suppose you are not talking about food!
    Hermione

Loob

English UK
    I think that ee's referring to a sentence fragment/fragment of a sentence, Hermione. His question is about the sentence he's written "Is this fragment palatable in English?"; he's asking whether "palatable" can be used in this sort of context to mean acceptable/permissible/permitted.

(My answer, as above, is "no....")

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
    Thank you Hermione for your comment. I agree with you when it comes to that what I've mentioned is not a fragment, it's a word. But when it comes to what I've given, I believe that it shows the propose of what I wanted to express about. I'm not taking about food at all, but in Arabic we can use the word that can be used for food. That's why, I've given you that word and other words that similar to what I wanted to say to help you out in getting what I wanted to say. (To avoid any kind of misunderstanding). I appreciate that you're trying to help me. Thank you:)
    I think investigating the meaning of fragment would be a good idea. On this forum it means part of a sentence, but we always want a complete sentence. Palatable is not even a "fragment" it is one single word. We can't discuss words without context and a sentence showing how you propose to use it. I suppose you are not talking about food!
    Hermione

< Previous | Next >