Palestinian Arabic: حمّل جميلة

oopqoo

Hebrew - Israel
Hello :)
I have tried asking a few friends how they'd translate the phrase يحمّل حدا جْميلة but no one managed to find a translation. One said that it's similar to saying هتّ عحدا but that one I was told means "blaming someone while being the one to blame". Maybe it might also have a connection with يعاتب but there this thread about it so I don't know.
I am thinking maybe يحمل حدا جميلة means "to make someone feel like they owe you something".
How would you translate this phrase to English/Hebrew?

Three contexts I have (which I wrote/adapted so there may be errors there):

لنفرض حضرت لصديقة سباچيتي. اسا كلما تطلب مني الصديقة اشي بجيب سيرة السباچيتي وبقول "بكفي عملتلك سباچيتي". اسا هي بتحكيلي "شو محملني جميلة انك عامللي سباچيتي؟
"
ا - "منا بعتتلك تلاخيص وساعدتك بكل اشي، حاجة
تطلب مني اشياء"

ب - "جاي تحملني جميلة يعني؟"

لنفرض في شريك كسلان بمجموعة تسليم وظايف بالجامعة. هو بعملش اشي وحتى بهتّ ع باقي اعضاء المجموعة انهن لازم يستعجلو ويشتغلو اكتر.​

Last edited:
  • Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    I am thinking maybe يحمل حدا جميلة means "to make someone feel like they owe you something".
    I'd say that this one is the closest, but I wouldn't say that this is exactly what it means. This is one of the hard concepts to translate, mainly because there isn't a similar one in English - at least not one that I know of.

Abbe

Swedish
    I'd say that this one is the closest, but I wouldn't say that this is exactly what it means. This is one of the hard concepts to translate, mainly because there isn't a similar one in English - at least not one that I know of.
    Does it then have the same mening as منّ in Arabic? If yes then you can look up the meaning in a translation of the Quran.

Malki92

English - USA
    The meaning of the English idiom, "holding something over someone's head" can vary depending on the context. However, you could say that someone did you a favor and now they're holding it over your head. I'm pretty sure that conveys a nearly identical connotation.

Edit: typo.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >