Palestinian Arabic: I always remember my friends' birthdays.

ksultan

English - Canadian
انا دايما بتذكر اعياد ميلاد أصحابي

"I always remember my friends' birthdays"

I've seen this phrase somewhere that taught the Palestinian dialect,

but don't we use the ب prefix + root when talking in first person singular,

so that the "I remember" would be بذكر?

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    The sentence is correct except for one thing: “my friends” is صحابي (at least I’ve never heard أصحابي).

The root for “remember” is تذكر, not ذكر, which is “mention.”

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    At least 95% of the time we say صاحب.

Exceptions:
    • صديق is used for the social media meaning of “friend” (عندي اياه صديق ع الفيسبوك).
    • صديق is used to emphasize the person’s status as a friend and not something else (هو بس صديق، مش أكتر).
    • يا صديقي is sometimes used humorously.
    • There is at least one fixed expression with صديق: البيت الضيق بِسَع ميت صديق (in this expession صديق is pronounced zdīʾ, not sadīq).

Last edited:

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    It’s not used at all (to my knowledge). As far as I know, it’s distinctly Syrian, or at least North Levantine.

Aliph

Italian (North)
    I am a little puzzled by what Elroy wrote that the verb remember would have a quadrilateral root. In Fus’ha my dictionary tells me that the root is ذكر the initial ت was added in the augmented fifth form of the verb along with doubling the ك
    I know it is Fus’ha and not Palestinian but I imagine it is similar. Or am I completely wrong?

apricots

English - US
    I am a little puzzled by what Elroy wrote that the verb remember would have a quadrilateral root. In Fus’ha my dictionary tells me that the root is ذكر the initial ت was added in the augmented fifth form of the verb along with doubling the ك
    I know it is Fus’ha and not Palestinian but I imagine it is similar. Or am I completely wrong?
    He meant that the root is z-k-r but the form is tCaCCaC so tzakkar - titzakkar = to remember.

Aliph

Italian (North)
    That’s what I thought, apricots. However it isn’t exactly what was mentioned in the second post of this thread where a root with 4 letters is mentioned, but it’s Ok.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    What I meant was the “core” part of the verb: the part that you add prefixes and suffixes to. I was not referring to the MSA concept of root.

Diachronically, تذكّر is of course a combination of the root ذكر and the تفعّل pattern. Synchronically, however, in Palestinian Arabic, it behaves like any triliteral root: it is more than the sum of its parts.

Sorry for the confusion!

< Previous | Next >