Palestinian Arabic: unstressed long vowels

oopqoo

Hebrew - Israel
Hello!
I have seen the following comments by elroy on this thread and on this one:
About the word خيالية:
(also, it would be "khayaliyye"; the first vowel doesn't change, and the second one gets shortened. Syrian preserves many long vowels that get shortened in the rest of the Levant.)
About the Syrian pronunciation naDDaaraat:
Same in Palestinian Arabic, except that the second "a" is short: "naDDaraat" (the long-vowel version is so Syrian! :D). We also use the singular ("naDDaara").
In the first example the يا gets shortened because of the ليّة that comes after. In the second example the long رات made the ظا short.
What if we had a regular syllable with no long vowel nor shadde appended at the end of the word and stealing the stress? Is the only condition for shortening long vowels in PA to have just the stress fall on another syllable? Example:
In order to pronounce بَتضايقش and بِضايقني in Galilean Arabic would we say the following:
batDaya2esh (practically baDDaya2esh)
biDayi2ni
?
Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:
  • elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Your bold syllables are correct - except that the “2” in the first word belongs to the last syllable. However, the ض is realized as a د here, and the “a” is pronounced accordingly (i.e. it’s not a dark “a”):

bitdaya2eš
    bidayi2ni

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Well, it's an unreleased "t," so I don't think it makes a difference - i.e. unreleased "t" and unreleased "d" are identical. The only difference between a "t" and a "d" is voicedness, i.e. whether your vocal cords vibrate during production. But if a plosive is not released, the vocal cords don't come into play so it's a moot point. Try pronouncing the word with a "t" and with a "d" and you will produce the same exact utterance.

< Previous | Next >